How about introductions? Tell us everything! šŸ™ƒ

And you’re absolutely right :smiley:.
I have a one-year-old son. He’s been growing up with the sound of the didgeridoo, guitar and djembe since birth. When he sees me play, he comes to scratch, hit and now he’s even blowing :!!!
There’s obviously no drone but he blows into it, it’s hilarious.

The next generation is secured :wink:

2 Likes

Hehe, welcome to the forum Gaƫtan, glad to see you here!
Nice trip and Australian stories you’ve got there. :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah @gaetanlahaye! Nice journey indeed! Keep up the good playing and welcome!!

1 Like

Thanks Gauthier, wasn’t there supposed to be another workshop with Norman’didge this year? Olivier had vaguely mentioned it to me..

Yeah, there should be a workshop but more towards Caen. We were talking about it with Olivier and then lockdown happened. :slight_smile:
So it’s planned but with all the uncertainties of the situation.

1 Like

Cool, I’ll try to join if it gets set up, I’ve got some catching up to do… :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum GaĆ«tan, but if I understand correctly you’re not really new… and actually pretty much a regular :slight_smile:
Thanks for that very complete introduction, so now we’re eager to see your didges made by a southerner in Australia! so for photos that’s here

Where are you in Normandy? it’s not too far from Brittany, we could have a Breton-Norman meetup after lockdown, on neutral ground for example at Mont Saint Michel :rofl:

3 Likes

@gaetanlahaye

That’s a great idea :wink:, I’m voting for it

Haha good idea, I’m in the south of the Channel, not that far from said Mont-Saint-Michel, 7 km as the crow flies, I’ve just got the Bay to cross to get to Brittany :stuck_out_tongue:
Well Mont-Saint-Michel is nice but I’m not sure it’s a good idea, even after lockdown, because with the crowds it attracts it’s perfect for catching the virus :smiley:

But yeah I’d love to do a session with a neighbour :slight_smile:

And just to clarify, the didgeridoos aren’t made by Jimmy but by Aboriginal communities from Far North Queensland. Jimmy just works at selling them and promoting the culture of these tribes, he makes little or no margin on the didgeridoos (and paintings) he sells. He’s participated in doing some work on certain didges and modified some didges but that’s not the majority and often these didges stay in his personal collection.

Looking forward to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I really like the idea of this post because, in my view, it’s us ordinary, everyday people who truly form the Didgeridoo community….in its diversity and therefore its richness! :slight_smile:

Let me introduce myself too, my name is Olivier Luis, I live in a coastal village in North Cotentin, 20 km from Cherbourg. I’m an educator by training and have been a passionate player since 2012…
I studied didgeridoo on my own for 4 years before creating the Norman’Didge association (Manche).

The goal being to promote the practice of Didgeridoo, encourage meetings and share our experiences….
I play every day, the didgeridoo being part of my life, my everyday routine….it’s a necessity, a need for me and helps me find balance, reconnect with myself.
I see this instrument as a link between people and a true means of communication! it should be like the reflection of our soul….

I also enjoy studying the technique, the foundation that allows me the greatest expression of what I experience….

It’s hard to sum up this introduction….my heart is coming alive!

Take care of yourselves…..

Olivier

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum Olivier :smiley:
Thanks for your words and for your honesty about the didgeridoo in your life.
Looking forward to reading your posts around the forum :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

The more time goes on, the more I notice that too… It’s crazy how much it reconnects me with myself and how playing it calms me down. So I totally get you on that one.

4 Likes

Welcome @Olivier_Luis!
Same here, for me the didge is visceral. It’s the depths of your being expressing itself :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Great presentation @Olivier_Luis !! You’re transmitting your love of playing really well and what it brings you on a spiritual level through your words, that’s awesome!
Welcome here!!
By the way?

What field did you work in? Did you play didge with the people you supported?

2 Likes

Hi GƩraldine,
Thanks for your feedback, that’s really kind!

I worked in various medical and social care facilities (ESAT, IME and therapeutic and educational units for young children).

Indeed, I used to do little didgeridoo sessions with children with autism… because I’d noticed their breathing was very thoracic/clavicular and learning the didgeridoo helped the children relax and develop more abdominal breathing…:innocent:

2 Likes

Thanks Simon,

Yes that’s it… but the technique helps me even more to express myself…:blush:

I don’t just play by feel… it’s a whole thing… I think…:innocent:

2 Likes

@Olivier_Luis That’s it, to tell nice stories you need at least some vocabulary :wink:

Yes Gauthier, I think ventilation, respiratory cycles are the key to this refocusing, it’s a refuge we can rely on because it’s part of us..

Interestingly, when I dive in apnea, I feel (past the diaphragm contractions) that same sense of well-being… weird :shushing_face:

For now, the common thread I’ve been able to identify is the diaphragm! So I’m also looking into that…and I’m trying to find other links of mechanical, physiological functionalities,… to rediscover that inner peace… but well that’s a bit ambitious all that…:blush:

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

My name is Fabien, I’m from Marseille and I’m a fan of psytrance, trance music, and listening to the essential sets from la ptit fumĆ©e and Hilight Tribe, I got interested in this instrument which was unknown to me before.

I first tried the didgeridoo at a friend’s place who had one and I liked it right away. So for my birthday, friends of mine got me one and since then I’ve been playing it pretty regularly. I’ve never really had the chance to try other instruments, so I took the plunge and got into the didgeridoo.

That’s all from me for now, looking forward to seeing you and making some little didgeridoo connections :grinning: :grinning:

Cheers
Fabien NARCISSE

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @fabiennarcisse. :slight_smile:

It’s great that you chose the didgeridoo, or that it chose you—you never really know which way it goes. :smile:

When did you start playing it regularly? Are you able to do circular breathing?

2 Likes