How about introductions? Tell us everything! 🙃

Hi everyone and congratulations on this forum which seems pretty active and pleasant to read. :slightly_smiling_face:
My name is cĂ©dric, I’m 44 and have been playing the didgeridoo for several years. At first I was quite consistent, then sporadically during evenings.

My current didgeridoo is bamboo, bought at a holiday market so not great quality. But it allowed me to get started with the practice.
I picked up circular breathing fairly quickly, but rhythm-wise I keep going around the same thing and I really want to develop that. I’m currently playing embouchure-side and going to try face-on. That’ll help avoid my lips being deformed on just one side :sweat_smile:
I’ve decided to get more serious about it and reading this forum I discovered a goldmine of information.

Oh I forgot, I’m based in Arcachon :blush:

5 Likes

Welcome to you Cédric :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for your introduction.
I hope you’ll find here all the help and motivation you need for your didgeridoo practice :grinning:.
See you soon in these posts then :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Cédric,
Thanks for that intro, blowing face-on and diversifying your rhythmic patterns is a solid plan.
Don’t hesitate to keep us posted on your progress or any questions you might have.
Happy blowing

3 Likes

But isn’t that our friend Will?!
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome Cédric!

Well that’s a fine decision right there. :wink:

3 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’ve been staring at my didgeridoo for over 20 years, sitting in a corner gathering dust
 the problem was finding someone to show me how to get circular breathing. I could get sounds out fine, but I’d get tired pretty quickly!

Finally, things came together all at once: a workshop (the power of a group for motivation, stimulation, or just the vibe
 all good for making progress, since loneliness is really what holds you back) / a teacher (and what a teacher!) / advice on the urgent stuff: redoing the beeswax mouthpiece that had deteriorated on its own over time!

A bunch of things are converging: discovering musical trends that use sub-bass frequencies (Disclosure, for instance) / against the backdrop of « vibrations have been doing me good for years Â» (as a healthcare worker, I’m sensitive to various relaxation methods) / trying to reproduce those sounds with a musical glove hooked up to a micro:bit card (within the hackers association I frequent in the Lausanne area, I’m exploring with someone else the possibility of translating body movements into sounds).

Also, I drew a parallel between the calm produced by vibrations (while waiting to have circular breathing and produce them myself, I found a trick, I’ll tell you about it below) and a cat’s purr (sign of comfort / sign of self-soothing—a cat that hates being held can start purring to cope with the moment) - they also purr when they’re in pain, or need to be reassured. And I love resting my head on mine when it does.

I think I read somewhere that this is actually what got physios interested in exploiting ultrasound to treat inflammation, loosen up tissues


So I looked for the most linear recording sequences possible, fired up my little Wonderboom speaker, and held it against my sternum - instant effect. I’m going to use that on other areas that need loosening up (been dealing with multiple tendinitis issues lately, and abdominal surgery with complications → compression syndrome of the anterior cutaneous nerve). The physio I’m seeing suggested I massage the area to relax it, and if I’m going to massage anyway, why not
 with sub-bass frequencies!

I wouldn’t have thought of it if I hadn’t particularly appreciated, when Gauthier was playing for us, having my skull in contact with the ground. As a bone conduction support for the sound, that’s pretty perfect!

And I listened with great interest to the interview/podcast about music therapy (can’t find the link anymore
). Anyway, that’s where I’m at!

Have a good day, great weekend everyone

8 Likes

Hello @clemandorange,
Thanks for that great intro :slightly_smiling_face:.
Welcome to the forum.
And yes, the didgeridoo is really an amazing instrument capable of so much, especially doing us good.

What kind of didgeridoo are you playing?
See you soon

2 Likes

Hi @clemandorange, welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

Your journey/search for vibrations with sound is really interesting and unconventional.

What’s that?

I never would’ve thought to put my head on the ground to feel the vibrations of a Didgeridoo through the floor! That’s definitely gotta be cool. :upside_down_face:

So how’s that circular breathing coming along? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much!

A wooden didgeridoo, decorated with traditional motifs

3 Likes

Thanks for the welcome!

The Wonderboom is just a small little amplifier to pair with a PC via Bluetooth.


Circular breathing
 well I’m making quieter and quieter fart sounds with my mouth, hehe
 and I’m already trying to tweak the mouthpiece to my liking, using the « trial-and-error Â» method :wink:

2 Likes

I assume you know Gauthier’s Youtube videos, but I’m giving you the link to this one anyway:

And this one:

https://www.wakademy.online/souffle-continu/

For the diameter of your mouthpiece it needs to be between 28 mm and 30 mm (preferably 30 mm) in diameter. :wink:

Keep us posted on how the work’s going. :laughing:

1 Like

Ah thanks for the diameter tips! And of course, Gauthier’s videos are my go-to guide


See you soon!

3 Likes

Hey welcome to the Forum @clemandorange !
Great to see you here after the workshop.
You’re getting the hang of circular breathing !?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @clemandorange,
thanks for the introduction. Nice work taking action—it would’ve been a shame to let that didge sit around gathering dust.
Feel free to share your « therapeutic Â» sessions with us.
For the circular breathing, you’re almost there if you’re at the « farts Â» stage, keep it up!

3 Likes

Welcome @clemandorange! That’s awesome, you’re getting into it!

And Ron-Ron first!

(for portable speakers. Ultimate Ears are great, I’ve got a UE Roll and a UE Megaboom, they’ve got serious punch. Especially the MB which really does a great job with the didge sound
 And everything else too.)

Oh tell us more! Which tracks specifically?
I listen to a lot of « You and Me Â» (Flume) on repeat, it really gets me vibing.

Welcome :smile:

1 Like

I’m making progress, kind of in the void at the moment, my mouthpiece isn’t quite there yet


Ah yeah, I’m blowing everything I can :laughing:

So right now I’m thinking about getting myself a bone conduction audio device. If anyone has good experience to share, I’m all ears.

As for Disclosure tracks, I have a huuuuge soft spot for « Holding On Â», « White Noise Â», « Confess to me Â», « My intention is war Â». And one thing led to another, I discovered this:

3 Likes

The link to the podcast I was talking about:

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

My name is StĂ©phane, I live north of Indre et Loire. I’m 47 years old, I’m the president of an educational farm association and a trainer. I also practice singing and guitar, and as far as I can remember, the didgeridoo has always attracted me without ever going further, it probably just wasn’t the right moment.

I started the didge at the beginning of October, it took me some time to just manage to get the drone to sound (thanks Gauthier for the diagnosis). Now I practice daily and work mainly on circular breathing but also on harmonics and attacks.

I’m very fortunate to practice on an O’Meara budget in C, bought from didgeridoo passion, which is a beautiful instrument for beginners.

My goal is to develop a meditative style of playing to accompany our future wellness workshops at the association.

Have a great evening/day/week everyone.

8 Likes

Hey Weh, welcome to the forum :slightly_smiling_face:.
Thanks for your intro.
You’ll find, I’m sure of it, all the help and inspiration you need on this forum.
We’ve got our meditation enthusiasts here :wink:
See you around in the posts then :+1:

1 Like

Hey Stéphane,
I reckon we all struggled at first, so we can only encourage you :wink:.
What’s great about the didge is that you’re always discovering new things even after years of playing.

Welcome aboard :grin:

2 Likes