How about introductions? Tell us everything! 🙃

Thanks Stephane @Stéph, welcome aboard!
If you got advice from Gauthier, you’re in good hands to progress.
A bit of perseverance and circular breathing should come soon.
Hang in there and happy blowing!

2 Likes

Welcome

That could make a nice combo with singing, guitar and didgeridoo.
I reckon you’ll make good progress with tips from everyone here and with all the info available on the site.

Happy breathing.

1 Like

Welcome @Stéph,

Thanks for introducing yourself, it’s great that you can get started on an O’Meara. :wink:

The meditative style will adapt perfectly to relaxation workshops. Cool project.

Good luck with circular breathing. Let us know how you’re getting on. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks everyone! :pray: :blush:

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m finally taking the time to introduce myself. Romuald (Romu), 43 years old and I’m in Burgundy, more precisely in Saîne et Loire. Me and the didge go way back to the early 2000s (yeah, I’m not getting any younger it seems :smiling_face:) discovered while listening to Jamiroquai for those who know. Since then it’s been periods of playing and stopping for longer or shorter stretches due to lack of meeting people and contact to learn the didge. In 2013-2014 I was lucky enough to meet @Gauthier during a workshop and then a few lessons. But you quickly go in circles and lose motivation playing alone. I’m finding new motivation with his new course on rhythmic patterns, which I’m hoping to go a good distance with you all and maybe even cross paths someday to blow together :wink:. Those are surely the most enriching moments and the ones I prefer.
Thanks to everyone
Romu

5 Likes

Welcome Romu, to the Forum and At the Heart of Rhythm. :slight_smile:

Welcome back @Romu and see you soon to cross paths (virtually) in this course :grinning:

Hey Romu,
Welcome to the forum! :wink:
You’ve landed in the right place to find the drive and motivation to play!

Hey everyone,

I’ve been playing didge since around May 2020 (picked up a decent didge from Australia and especially the travel didge). I also started with Gauthier’s first method and took lessons with The Legendary Strawberry Man over video call, honestly brilliant. It wrapped up with me creating a sound so that’s pretty cool.
I couldn’t resist a saxodidge so can’t wait to receive it.
Heavy work on beatbox for the snare.
Heavy work on the pama (drone on the expulsion of air from the cheeks — and not the lungs — and on the « inhale Â»), I just can’t get it at all.
And heavy work to do on long inhales too.
Plus all the discovery of new sounds, new rhythms (which is why I’m keen on this course too) and the pleasure of it all.

I don’t know yet what I prefer since it’s all fresh and needs training and techniques, but stoked to have taken the leap after so many years putting this moment off.

If there’s anyone around Clermont-Ferrand, don’t hesitate to reach out :wink:

Happy breathing everyone

7 Likes

Hey there « Duc Â» or Lebowski :wink:.
Are you going to buy a carton of milk in your bathrobe too?
The Big Lebowski, that’s just a reference for me !!!

All joking aside, welcome to the Wakademy forum :grin: :grin:

You mean David Defois’s Kromm Boud?

I see you’ve got a lot of stuff to work on !! You’re in the right place to work on it, ask for advice, and share your creations and progress via videos or recordings.

Great discovering your instrument anyway :smile:.
If you’d like to eventually share some photos of your didge and soon of your didges, we have this thread that might interest you :

See you soon in the posts Lebowski :wink:

3 Likes

Absolutely, the Dude, or The Dude, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino
 is clearly one of my favorite films. It’s even the theme for the bathroom decoration ^^

The saxodidge is the one from The Legendary Strawberry Man, I’m going to shock some people but this one won’t be wooden, it’ll be fiberglass and carbon
 But yeah, we’re definitely in the Kromm Boud vibe for the shape.

Yes I’ll present all that when I receive them, I really can’t wait!

Thanks for the welcome anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey there @Lebowski and welcome to the forum. I just discovered your future didge through Karl’s post on the legendary strawberry man. Really a beautiful instrument I didn’t know about..can’t wait to see your future partner in an upcoming post..:wink::wink:

2 Likes

Hey Lebowski! Welcome aboard :wink:
Yeah, you’re right, the saxodidge is kind of stepping outside traditional didgeridoo territory, which is cool.
It’s awesome that you managed to get tips from Strawberry Man, what a legend! :smiley:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Lebowski, you seem to know where you want to go and you’ve got great motivation to get there, that’s awesome.
I’m also discovering « LSM Â» and his sax didge, it has a very particular and interesting sound. Yet another player with massive energy who shares it with the community!

3 Likes

Hi Whyktor, my name is Lise. I started playing didgeridoo on December 6th and I’ve found in the practice of didgeridoo both a pleasure, a spontaneity and a freedom that no other instrument, in my view, can offer. First of all, you’re free from learning music theory, which had left me with such a feeling of confinement that I quickly abandoned the piano. The to, ta ti, te, tu of the didge remind me of kindergarten and this return to childhood is for me a real fountain of youth
 Anyway, I’m having a blast and of course, like everyone else who started before me, I’m drooling buckets both literally and figuratively! :rofl: It’s an awesome experience that gives me the chance to push myself. So a big friendly hello to everyone who reads this and to you Whyktor for coming up with this great idea of inviting newcomers to introduce themselves.

5 Likes

Hey Lise, welcome to the community :blush:
Feel free to share a little video with us so we can check out your playing :wink:

I’ll let you explore the forum, there’s tons of interesting stuff to find in there!

3 Likes

Hey Lise,
Thanks for that introduction, I’m really glad to see you here.
As our friend @Alexandre_Maffia puts it very well, take the time to explore the forum.

Don’t hesitate to jump in and share your thoughts and/or what you’re feeling here and there.
As I’ve already mentioned to you, whatever your level, we’re all students of life and the didgeridoo is part of that :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Lise, thanks for introducing yourself.
This period when you’re just starting out is exhilarating and full of discoveries. The difficulties of the moment fade away and make room for new unexpected horizons. Make the most of it and above all have fun.

3 Likes

So how’s that circular breathing coming along?!

That’s great to hear. :slight_smile:

Not sure there are many people blowing around Clermont, have you met anyone since November?

Welcome Lise, it’s great that you’re on the forum, I’m going to add you to The Art of the Didgeridoo group!

2 Likes

Hello Gauthier, I wish you an excellent year and all the forum members too. :blush: :pray:

As for circular breathing, it’s not quite there yet but it’s coming. I’m having trouble syncing the inhale through my nose and the breath from my cheeks: I can’t manage a quick inhale and a long breath, they’re linked for now. So when I do the pause before the « puff inhale Â», my cheeks nice and full let me do a long inhale and pick up the drone right after, but when I puff my cheeks at the end of the drone without a pause, my cheeks seem less full and I don’t have enough time to inhale.
That said, I should mention that even though I play almost every day, I don’t necessarily take the time to work on this specific point every day because I want to keep the pleasure of playing and working on the sound and resonance.
Actually, even though it’s frustrating to break the breath to inhale, I figure it’ll come gradually (but not magically) with practice when it’s ready.

Anyway, thanks for checking in. And you, is the volume of courses meeting your expectations? I hope so!

Have a nice evening everyone.

4 Likes