How about introductions? Tell us everything! šŸ™ƒ

So, how’s that didge? Can’t stop blowing now, can you?
Welcome to the forum, a bit late to the party, but welcome all the same. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello,
I’m a bit late commenting on your post, but I just wanted to thank you: I just printed out your magic phrase and I KNOW it’s going to work for me too. :stuck_out_tongue:
so thanks!

2 Likes

Hey everyone, welcome to the newbies :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello fellow didgeridoo players,

My name is Anthony, 37 years old. I live in the green Moselle region around Thionville, but I prefer to say I’m from Metz (a bit of chauvinism due to my hair :smile:)

I can’t remember when or how I discovered the didgeridoo, but it must have been around 2003. Anyway, I remember playing it with a friend. It was a teak didgeridoo.
I played it occasionally without really training to find the circular breathing (hmm, could there be some symbolism to debate between circular breathing and continuous breathing?)

And over time, I set it aside and only used it on rare occasions.

Then in early April, for my best friend’s birthday, I surprised her by trying out and choosing a handpan in Alsace.
When we entered the room with the different handpans, my eyes landed on 3 or 4 beautiful didgeridoos :heart_eyes: hanging on the wall.

I thought I’d leave with one but they weren’t for sale :sweat_smile:
But that gave me the taste for playing again, especially after seeing a video of a handpan and didgeridoo duo.

And I came across Gauthier’s videos right away.
With my didgeridoo at home, I found a 50mm diameter PVC pipe at my parents’ place that I cut to 1m60 and reduced the mouthpiece to 32mm diameter after cutting and heating.
It sounded good when I managed to find the drone, though it didn’t last :smile:

Then visiting home, I left the PVC didge behind and took the teak one… What a mistake!!! I struggled to produce a correct and strong sound.

Well, I took my time and by reading Gauthier’s blog and following his advice, I acquired a resonant bamboo didgeridoo in C# by David Defois.
I’ve been hooked ever since :blush:

For now, I’ve managed to get the drone. Circular breathing, I can do it without the didgeridoo and here’s the funny thing, I was actually doing it long before like @pauline-silvant by humming my breath to check if it’s fresh :laughing:

Aside from the didgeridoo, I play the transverse flute, Irish and meditative music, but I had to stop since St Patrick’s Day because of tendonitis in my elbow. I occasionally play harmonica and jaw harp (more rarely).
And I’m getting into overtone singing.

I’m also looking for an altered state of consciousness through music.

And here I am, crossing the circle of didgeridoo players :wink:

A big thanks to Gauthier for your commitment to making didgeridoo teaching accessible and all the work you’ve done.
And thank you all for keeping the breathing community alive around the world’s oldest musical instrument.

Cheers,
Dorou

8 Likes

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for that really thorough introduction and welcome to the forum.
I reckon you’ve made the right call going back to basics with a bamboo from David Defois. It’ll let you progress fast given your musical background.
Flute, harmonica, singing… I hope you get just as much enjoyment out of the didge to round out your already solid collection.
Would I dare crack a welcome joke? Your tendinitis on Saint Patrick’s Day – was that from the flute or the weight of the pints? :wink:
But seriously, wishing you a quick recovery :grinning:

2 Likes

Welcome to you Antony :slight_smile:

Did you happen to pick up that handpan from Shellopan? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome,

Regarding circular breathing, you have a free video from Gauthier to help you out, and more generally, for the basics of the didgeridoo, there’s Gauthier’s paid online course (The Art of the Didgeridoo).

Everyone who’s done it can only say good things about it.

It’s up to you; if you have the time (once you’ve paid for the course, you have all the time) and the money. Personal note: compared to other courses (whatever their field), this one has unbeatable value for money, plus I know Gauthier made a real effort on the price compared to the work he put in to create this course (there are actually several of them).

I should mention I don’t get any percentage for this free advertising!

I’m pretty sure everyone on the forum who’s done one or more of Gauthier’s courses will agree about their quality.

Just like you, I came across Gauthier’s course pretty quickly (first as a printed book, then online) and it’s really thanks to that I was able to progress and at the same time keep enjoying this magical instrument that is the didgeridoo.

Wish you a good day, even if it’s rainy.
Oh, I almost forgot: when your tendonitis is nothing but a bad memory, let us hear some Irish flute and meditative styles, that should be really nice to listen to.

2 Likes

Welcome @Dorou. :slight_smile:

It’s great that there’s someone else interested in the Didgeridoo.

Circular breathing will come without a doubt, and your musical background, especially the flute, will help you a lot to shape your sounds and create rhythmic patterns with this wind instrument that is the Didgeridoo.

You’ll be able to accompany your Irish and meditative flute pieces with Didgeridoo, a very good program. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, mate.
Thanks for the intro, it’s awesome :+1:.

The crew have already left you a bunch of great comments, so for my part and at the risk of repeating myself, well, I just want to welcome you to the forum :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome :blush:

@Christophe_E, haha I was wondering if someone would make that allusion :smile: And no, it’s due to work.
Unfortunately, it takes a long time to heal especially since the tendon was cracked. But at least I can devote myself entirely to the didgeridoo :grin:

@AAVA, mmmmh who knows :wink:

@Patrick_GARBOUS yes, I forgot to mention that I own his book Ā« Comment jouer vos premiers rythmes au didgeridoo Ā», I’ve watched his free videos and I’ve started his course Ā« L’art du didgeridoo Ā».

In addition to healing, I’ll also wait to have a decent level in Irish music. I started taking lessons because I was stagnating. And I had to Ā« relearn Ā» how to play the transverse flute because the technique is different.
In meditative style, it’s personal. I improvise for my well-being with a five-hole bamboo transverse flute. But why not, I know it doesn’t scare off my best friend :smile:

@Elisabeth_Blanc oh I’m not worried about it, but thanks :blush:

@Karl thanks and you’re welcome :wink:

4 Likes

hey Dorou,

welcome to the forum! I noticed you’re in the East, I’m based in the Vosges myself, and you mentioned in your intro that you’re looking for an altered state of consciousness through music.

I reckon you’ve picked the right instrument — it’s really intuitive, and hopefully it’ll open the doors for you to reach those states.
diplophones singing or singing in general is a good way to spot the blockages we all have in our bodies.

3 Likes

Thanks Lorraine neighbor :blush:
Yes and I’m already starting to feel some serenity playing it.

I didn’t know about the vocals. Well, that reassures me to keep doing overtone singing in the car :smile:

3 Likes

Hey Dorou and welcome! :wink:
Nice intro!
I see you’ve got multiple skills up your sleeve, that’s cool!
You also take advantage of your car trips for overtone singing :blush:

2 Likes

Hi and thanks :blush:
Yeah, it helps you stay calm on the road :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Welcome @Dorou :wink:

Thanks @simon

Great to see you here on the forum Dorou!
I’m not the most active forum member but it was designed so that Wakademy members can chat about the didgeridoo so welcome and thanks for your feedback!

Ps: thanks @Patrick_GARBOUS for that nice free plug! :wink:

Thanks and you’re welcome​:blush:
Oh you know, I’m not that regular on the forums either.

1 Like

Hi! newbie here, way out in the middle of nowhere in the 56, near St Aignan next to GuerlƩdan!
I’ve been playing didgeridoo for quite a long time, but not consistently enough :slight_smile:
And kind of on my own, which isn’t always motivating!
So I kicked myself in the butt this year, I signed up for the workshop in Theillac coming up soon!
My little pieces of wood:

The first one is a VĆ©foun in C ordered directly, the second, well it’s a pretty special branch that kind of fell into my lap 2 years ago…
my main flaw on the didge is going too fast, so my playing is pretty messy, this branch forces me to slow down…I’m going to the workshop to learn how to use it!
Looking forward to meeting cool people soon, and I hope some other female players!!!

7 Likes

Welcome @LN. :slight_smile:

Your didgeridoos look great. It’s cool that you signed up for a workshop with Gauthier, that’ll give you some motivation to play more. :wink: