How about introductions? Tell us everything! šŸ™ƒ

Welcome Helene,

Completely agree with @Elisabeth_Blanc, your didges are really beautiful.
It’s true that it’s not easy to stay consistent when you play alone, I’m in the same situation as you. I’d encourage you to take one (or several :grinning:) online course from Gauthier (the ones on rhythm are top-notch) It really helped me get motivated again. I even bought a 2nd didge even though I’d been playing (more or less) the same one for years.
And above all, there are tons of great people on this forum :wink:

1 Like

Welcome Hélène!
It’s true, your didges are really lovely. I think you’ve found the right place to get (re)motivated and Gauthier’s workshop is very interesting, we’ll see each other there, I’m participating too.
Otherwise there’s also the BNS meetups (Breton Nomadic Buskers). There’s a dedicated post on that subject, we’re a small group spread between Dinan, Rennes, Redon, Pornic… and we try to meet regularly. Next Sunday the 06th will be our big comeback after the covid break, we’re getting together at @Karl’s place in St Dolay in the 56 as well. It’s true that from Saint Aignan it’s not exactly next door but if you feel like it you’re of course welcome to come to this meetup or a future one.
See you soon

1 Like

Hi Hélène,

Welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:!
Your didges are cool! Good call signing up for the workshops, I had one this weekend and I’m still buzzing about it :blush:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Hélène :smiley:.
You’re absolutely right, as the forum folks mention, you’re in exactly the right place. Wakademy is a really nice space for sharing and exchanging ideas from our local intergalactic internet!!

Your didges are really cool, they’re gorgeous.
Did you have any trouble getting in touch with HervƩ about your Vefoun, or was it pretty straightforward?

@Christophe_E did a great job inviting you to our little jam sessions.
The BNS are back after several months off, what with covid and especially the curfew. We used to, and probably still do, meet up every 1st Sunday of the month in the afternoon.

Like any self-respecting Nomads, we change locations each time :grin:.
If you feel like it, you’re more than welcome :+1: !! For organising these meetups, we communicate via text and/or private message on the forum.

If you want to check out the vibe of our gatherings before taking the plunge, it’s right here :wink::
https://community.wakademy.online/t/les-rencontres-des-bretons-nomades-saltimbanques/855/289

Anyhow, welcome again.
Take care of yourself :pray:

1 Like

whaou! Thanks so much for all your lovely messages!!! I wasn’t expecting so many replies!

Thanks for the invitation, I’m busy next weekend, but I’m ready to drive a bit for a future meetup! Looking forward to meeting you soon Christophe, I really can’t wait for the workshop.

Karl, to contact HervĆ©, it’s really easy, he insists on having his customers on the phone for any order…after that, it’s done by email plus photos, from choosing the branch to the finishing touches, going through all the manufacturing steps…super work, really good follow-up/communication, and very affordable prices…
A small hiccup with the delivery beyond his control, my didge got stuck at customs for a while, and I had to pay some extra fees, but apparently that’s quite rare!

4 Likes

@LN welcome here.
Yeah, the group is really very welcoming :blush:

Indeed, your Didgeridoos are nice.
And nice of you to share the evolution of the making with us.

Enjoy the workshop. I just missed one for hesitating about going. So it was full.

Looking forward to it

1 Like

Thanks HĆ©lĆØne for the info about HervĆ©, that’s great.
I’m not signed up for the workshop, but I’m thinking I might still pop by to say hi in the evening.
What are the dates again?

Nice.
Really looking forward to hearing them next Saturday and Sunday at Theillac.
I’m coming with an Alder in C and a Thuja in E :wink:.
Last time I came to learn circular breathing.
I’ve been practicing my exercises and I’m coming to see where I’m at and progress.
See you soon
Have a great evening

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @LN and looking forward to meeting you in 2 weeks at the Thehillac workshop!

1 Like

Hi everyone, :blush:

And well, it’s my turn to introduce myself, :metal:

First of all, a big thank you for the existence of this forum, and to Gauthier for his huge contribution to the world of the Didgeridoo. :pray:

My name is Dominique, 43 years old and I live in Toulouse.
Like pretty much everyone (well I think so :thinking:) I discovered the Didgeridoo with Jamiroquai almost thirty years ago (my goodness time flies :scream:), then Hillight Tribe whose energy and vibe I adore and whose concerts I never miss when they come to my region :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’ve always had a foot in the world of music and entertainment.
Former freelance lighting technician, I played guitar, saxophone, percussion as a younger person… and Didgeridoo (quickly though! :wink:).
I’ve also always been fascinated by the sound of this instrument, and for 25 years I’ve been blowing into a cracked teak didge of very poor quality from time to time (to say it was hyper rarely) that had been given to me back then by a shop assistant when I bought a vinyl turntable.

Years go by, instruments gather dust (my old didge and 1 djembe), you tell yourself that maybe you’ll pick it up again one day… :thinking: :thinking:
So I bought Gauthier’s method (paper version + CD)… but then you also have to find the time, discipline yourself… Come on, I promise tomorrow I’ll give it a go!! :joy: :joy:
And then eventually, you add another layer of dust to that old didge (it will have collected quite a bit over all these years :sweat_smile:)

I’m getting a bit off track here but about 5 years ago, I discovered and started practicing meditation (secular mindfulness).
I must say that this practice clearly turned my life upside down and changed the way I perceive things.
That’s when you think: Ā« No way, this guy is totally drifting off topic!! Ā» :crazy_face:
Well, as it turns out, the more I refined my meditation practice, the more I felt a strong pull towards the Didgeridoo again, and it became more and more intense over the last few months (to say the least visceral).
Indeed, I find that everything in this instrument reminds me and brings me divinely back to the meditation experience.
The breath, the vibrations, the breathing, the sound, the harmonics, the introspection, the body awareness… In short, a magnificent meditative instrument. :heart: :heart:
By the way, I think Gauthier’s teaching approach perfectly matches this philosophy :wink::pray: :tulip:

So I started watching videos on the subject again (to say I Ā« gorged Ā» myself :wink:), then started blowing into my old piece of wood again, reopened and reread Gauthier’s method.
No use, this old didge is literally unplayable!!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :pensive: but out of the question to give up this time!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
So I followed the advice and bought a Ā« Travel didge Ā» in PVC with a tripod to start fresh properly :star_struck:
I also invested in Gauthier’s excellent course (The Art of the Didgeridoo) :hugs:
And I must say that progress has never been so rapid. :flushed:
So many times I had tried playing embouchure without success, only to go back to cheek playing (before putting the didge in a corner and forgetting about it). :thinking:
Today with this new instrument, Gauthier’s course and playing about forty minutes a day, the milestone was reached in 1 week to the point of no longer being able to play cheek style. :flushed:
So now I’m tackling the big challenge (circular breathing).
I don’t have it yet, but it’s coming and the progress is encouraging :wink:
In any case, my motivation is very strong today, as this instrument touches my core values of peace, calm and serenity.
There you have it, the small (long) story of my experience with the Didgeridoo.

Thank you for reading all the way through and for also sharing your beautiful experiences. :pray:
Thank you again to Gauthier for his approach, his teaching and for this community. :pray:

See you very soon and above all take good care of yourself. :pray: :pray:

Domdom

6 Likes

Hey Dominique, welcome to the forum where you’ll find extra inspiration and motivation to keep blowing :wink: Don’t hesitate if you have any questions, we’ll be happy to help. I also encourage you to join @Gauthier’s workshops, which are really exceptional learning and sharing moments. I think he actually runs some in Toulouse.
Welcome aboard!

2 Likes

Welcome @Domdom. :slight_smile:

Indeed, the didgeridoo practiced in a meditative mode is pretty much like meditation itself. It is a meditation.

You’ll find that once you have circular breathing you’ll experience it even more. The flow of breath in and out of the didgeridoo, calm and peaceful, does just as much good in my opinion as meditation, because you have the breath work that meditation values, but at the same time the intense vibrations of the instrument.

Later on you’ll also discover rhythms, which is something quite different but very interesting too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Dominique.
Thanks for that long and lovely introduction :+1:.
The community is here to support you, guide you, and help you along in your didgeridoo journey, so don’t hesitate :wink:.

Looking forward to reading your posts.
Take care of yourself until then :pray:

2 Likes

Welcome to you @Domdom.
That’s a lovely return to the didgeridoo :blush:

Looking forward to it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Domdom, thanks for that great introduction. Whatever activity we practice, we need to find our deep motivation to exercise regularly and with pleasure — you’ve finally found it for the didgeridoo, it just took time for it to reveal itself to you.
Forty minutes a day is excellent, you’ll progress fast and I have no doubt you’ll have circular breathing down soon. At the same time, you can also work on harmonics and vocals (deep) in the didge, which are also really interesting for the meditative side of things.
Happy playing to you

3 Likes

Hey there @Domdom, really cool intro! :wink: Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Thank you for the wonderful welcome :hugs: :wink: :hugs:

3 Likes

Having written a couple of little posts on the forum, it might be time I introduced myself.

I’m from the generation of Catherine, Brigitte, Monique, FranƧoise… I add 1, I carry 2, divide the whole thing by 151.75 and hey presto, you’ve got my age. Well, I think?.. OK, enough beating around the bush, let’s get straight to the point!..on the clock 60 years and some change on earth, (yep because before that, I didn’t know where I was, let alone with who), not to mention a few pots and pans dragged around in my backpack in the middle of a few rocks picked up here and there during my work days. No, I wasn’t a cook, let alone a road worker. A moderate mountain guide, not to be confused with a high mountain guide, a much higher rank, a step way above the common folk. Summers in the alpine meadows, winters on snowshoes slogging through the snow.

My musical adventure began at age 19 with a few years of classical guitar. Then voice work. Quite a task, I had a pot stuck in my throat…

Well, as in life Ā« there are no problems, only solutions Ā» - I spent quite a bit of time Ā« solutioning Ā». Having become an Ā« expert solutioneer Ā», I’m going to speed up my introduction and solve it…

After countless concerts at the Olympia - ok that’s in my head, I’m exaggerating a bit! - but still a few years, between mountain hikes, dragging my worn shoes on little countryside stages here, there and everywhere… the sausage festival kind of thing… Hard, hard the life of an artist!

Several stays in Scotland, with the sheep. I learn the whistle, the bodhrĆ”n, the diatonic accordion… Oh no that’s my few years of life in Brittany!

In 2004, I discover the didgeridoo. I muddle through as best I can to learn, with a video by Philipp Peris - Several years later, I stumble upon Gauthier’s method with CD… I move forward more or less but less well than more -

In 2007, I get a diploma in music therapy from the international centre for music therapy - In my professional practice, I then combine my work as a mountain guide, sports educator in fitness professions as well as my various musical and artistic training and practices. All of it revolving around the BREATH.

In autumn 2018, I learn that Gauthier AubĆ© is organizing a workshop in Tournon near Albertville…« on my doorstep Ā» - my feet lose contact with the ground - added to that are his three courses, plus 2 other workshops; I take off for real.

In January 2021, during the 2nd workshop, I meet Quentin aka Quennetinne on the forum. He shows us the didgeridoos he made and that you know. I’m fascinated.

Back in Haute Tarentaise, I begin exploring the forests with a Scottish friend who decided to help me…4 didgeridoos will come out of their environment - in 2 months: ash and acacia. A fascinating experience even though I’m not at the helm, just overseeing…But I’ll have the chance to share my adventure with you.

There, I kept it short… as best I could…I’m attaching a video from March 28, 21, that I had sent to Gauthier as part of the Ā« At the Heart of Rhythm Ā» course with the first didge made - a D, which is no longer my favourite today. Ok the Olympia is still not happening tomorrow but in the Ā« supergrandma Ā» category… who knows? Life holds so many beautiful surprises!

By the way, my name is Chris!

5 Likes

Welcome @Domdom!

Aaaaaah that makes me really happy! :grin:

Thanks for the plug Romu!! :sweat_smile::+1:
And more seriously, without trying to sell you a workshop at all costs, I’m actually coming early September to Lherm, about 20 minutes from Toulouse.

1 Like

And of course welcome to you too @Chris (I took the liberty of changing Chrissaliquet to just Ā« Chris Ā», you can change it again if you’d rather) !
Anyway, glad you’re getting more and more comfortable posting here. :wink:
Next step, sharing your compositions!

1 Like