How about introductions? Tell us everything! šŸ™ƒ

Thanks for the encouragement — gotta say, I’m stuck on circular breathing right now. I’ve been practicing for a few days and I can’t wait for it to click. But hey, Rome wasn’t built in a day, so I’m sure with a bit of perseverance it’ll come.

Happy blowing

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Steve :smiley:

Don’t hesitate to explore, browse around — you’ll definitely find topics that interest you.

As for circular breathing, I reckon you’ve already checked out Gauthier’s free videos and yeah, it takes practice. But those hours of discovery are definitely the most thrilling.

Happy blowing!

2 Likes

Hi, greetings to the whole tribe, my name’s Victor, I live in Castelldefels — a village next to Barcelona, I’m a veteran (53 years old…) and I’ve just started (just a month and a half ago).
I’m already getting the didge to sound, and just yesterday I seriously started circular breathing. (Like a miracle… :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: after a coughing fit) KOUF KOUF…and tachaaaaan…
I can put in an hour a day, maybe two of practice.
I’m giving it my all!!!

Cheers!!

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Victor :smiley:
What kind of didgeridoo do you have?

1 Like

Welcome Victor, can’t wait to see you express yourself here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got two homemade agave ones, purely for experimenting. And another fiberglass, an old one I restored for my learning.
Sorry for my French, it’s terrible, so I’m a Catalan Aboriginal, born and raised in Brittany in '69. :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Welcome @vicmestrep !

If you feel like it, we’d love to see your creation! There’s a dedicated topic for sharing instruments:

Hi everyone!
I’m MĆ©lanie, I live in the Swiss Alps. I just got back from a workshop in La Chaux-de-Fonds, and it was extremely enriching, so I’m taking the plunge and introducing myself here. :wave:

Like many people my age (between 40 and 50), I discovered the didgeridoo thanks to Jamiroquai. It’s a sound I’ve always really loved, and I have to admit that right now, like many on this forum (from what I’ve read), I’m looking for a bit more grounding in my body. I’m naturally scattered and dabble in everything, so the focus on the body that this learning requires and the vibrations it creates give me sensations that feel beneficial to me—kind of like mindful meditation. Anyway, it really exercises concentration! :sweat_smile:

I have almost no musical experience, except for singing and that famous recorder at school… I’m starting from pretty much nothing, but I tell myself I have more to learn—challenges appeal to me.

Professionally, I’m a biologist, botanist, agronomist, and I do research in arboriculture. Since I also make some jewellery and marquetry wood knife handles, why not try making an instrument one day.
I’m also someone who lives outdoors—climbing, enduro mountain biking, slacklining, skateboarding, forest walks. I always have an eye out for wood to recover, and I’d like to find a species that speaks to me (cherry, pear, or apricot wood probably)… We’ll see what life brings.

I’m currently playing (learning to play) a didgeridoo in D in bamboo by David Defois, and I love it! I’ve also been able to borrow various termite-hollowed instruments in different keys and shapes from friends; I love hearing well-developed harmonics, and I’m working on making them ring out.
See you soon on the forum :smiley:

6 Likes

Welcome MƩlanie to this lovely place where the vibration makers have a blast.

It’s cool that you’ve jumped into playing with a gentle and punchy breath in this interiority that the didge and its active termites can guide you towards.

There’s no age limit to experience and try a practice, artistic or even just active and healthy, that can bring us to experience ourselves differently.

As for what you call concentration, I’d rather call it attention, because it brings us to listen to ourselves without focusing and forgetting the rest.

You who love nature, like most in this big slide didge that is this technology favouring certain exchanges, playing your bamboo while being open to the sounds around you, can make you integrate this funny company into your vibrations.

Awesome everything you do, I reckon the didge is gonna bring you its little extra … Hi hi hi, how good is the bonus of breathing like a tone that’s really alive.

I wish you to have fun and get intoxicated, wisely by the great drone

2 Likes

Welcome to you.
You couldn’t have gotten a better welcome than the one written by Fifrelin.le.magnifiq, whose way of putting words together I’m a big fan of.

You live in a region, certainly a magnificent one that I don’t know. However, being subscribed to the (Swiss) magazine La Salamandre run by Julien Perrot and regularly watching Ā« La Minute Nature Ā» by the same Julien Perrot on YouTube, I have a little idea of how beautiful the place is.

Otherwise, we’d be delighted to see photos (if you don’t mind) of your jewelry and knife handle creations.

1 Like

Birch and Alpine laburnum:


Locust tree burl:
Scalded maple, Alpine laburnum:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum MƩlanie :smiley: !!!

1 Like

Thanks for the photos.
It’s really nice what you’re doing. I can feel that beyond the beauty of the object, there’s the passion of the artist.

1 Like

The class is really awesome what you’re doing Melanie!!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Welcome MƩlanie,
there’s always something special about discovering something new, the pleasure of exploring, those moments that mark progress. I wish you lots of joy in your learning journey… which is never really over.
Seeing the quality of your woodwork, there’s no doubt you’ll succeed in making your own instrument whenever you feel like it.
Bravo!

2 Likes

Thank you for the welcome! :folded_hands:

1 Like

Welcome MƩlanie! Looking forward to reading you and/or hearing you!

2 Likes

Hi Melanie,
I also live in Switzerland in Fribourg. We’ve just started a small group of players in Fribourg and would be happy to meet you one day. I also started with a bamboo didgeridoo by David Defois.
I really love your wooden didgeridoos. I’m also an artist. I’m working with watercolours now.

Best wishes, Douglas

4 Likes