Show me your didge and I'll tell you who you are

Hello everyone,

Here’s a little rundown of the Didges I’ve played in chronological order and what I think of them.

1°/ It all started at the end of 2017 with a Crystal Didgeridoo in D# 432Hz, 170 cm long, which I had made by my crystal bowl supplier (I’ve actually still got some to sell!). The one on the left in this photo:

It’s beautiful, it has a really interesting sound, nicely conical with very comfortable back pressure that makes it super easy to play. The hardness and density of the crystal pushed me towards faster playing with heavily accented percussion and really big lip buzzes. Excellent for busking as long as you’re careful with knocks (the crystal is thick but still, it wouldn’t appreciate hitting a paving stone).
I then felt the need to complement it with another instrument, cheaper, lightweight and easy to carry so I could play everywhere and most of all play as often as possible.

2°/ And there I was in 2019, living the Aboriginal dream and buying a Bamboo Kan Ar C’Hoad in D.

This instrument brought me so much because I spent pretty much the whole summer of 2019 playing. Wherever I went, my lightweight and portable bamboo didge came with me. That’s when I really started playing the didgeridoo and wanting to journey with this instrument. Before, I only used it for deep interventions in a sound journey with crystal bowls. But there I really wanted to journey with it and that’s when the great love story begins.

3°/ The months pass, I slowly develop my playing and start playing with other people. Then comes the desire for a slide didgeridoo and I fall head over heels for one on Didgeridoo passion: this Carlidooscope in apple wood that goes from F to C# (it’s also the one we see on the right of the photo above).

I took great pleasure in playing this instrument and even today I use it to play in groups or accompany Kirtans for example. Its adjustable side is really nice!

But here’s the thing: as Gauthier explains very well, slide didgeridoos are more flexible but have less character. And the toots aren’t always well in tune depending on the note. And when I was blowing, my mouth was in contact with metal which was much less pleasant for me than blowing into wood.

4°/ Also added at that time was a travel didgeridoo with the idea of being able to take an instrument on a plane. The choice was obvious: an Air Didg to complete what was starting to seriously look like a collection. Even today, whenever I go somewhere (camping, hiking, festival, trip) the Air Didg comes along and while it certainly doesn’t have as good a sound as a wooden or even crystal didge, it’s still frankly respectable and its around 500 gr and approximately 40 cm when folded are just perfect. It’s also with this instrument that I discover with immense pleasure deeper notes like A which speaks to me enormously.

5°/ A new crush arrives with this HempStone in hemp stone in C, 196 cm. It’s beautiful, it’s extremely solid, it couldn’t care less about hydrothermal variations (and when you move around a lot and transport your instruments in a converted van that’s a very important quality), it has its mesmerizing and powerful low end, a conical shape and the hardness of the material gives it exceptional responsiveness. Its bass, power, 1st hoot at the octave, depth and speed. It has everything. A real love at first sight that I very very warmly recommend.

6°/ I got a taste of quality and I can sometimes be quite determined. I want to get into playing a didge with an open air column. This time I decide to really empty my piggy bank, I want an instrument that will travel far and long with me, custom-made by an accomplished maker who works with local woods, in low A, in wood and thus with an open air column. And that’s how I order an Evoludidg from Chris at Didgelement with a low A in open column and a B in conical, in service tree:

And there, it’s just another dimension! An exceptional instrument! A key in low B but yet extremely dynamic and responsive. A key in open A with a sound of such richness and depth it’s just mind-blowing and once it’s warm it handles accelerations really well. Playing with this instrument is making me progress a lot and when I go back to the hemp or the conical B, it feels like I’ve progressed as much as after a year of work in just one month. A real joy! That one too I very very warmly recommend!

There we go for the « little » tour of what I’m blowing into :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice presentation @jerome.almasi. Indeed, it’s starting to become a collection. :smile:

Thanks for taking the time to detail the characteristics and particularities of each didgeridoo, sharing how you feel playing a didgeridoo is really interesting for those who are unsure about their next purchase. :+1:

If you get a chance, I’d love to hear the sound a crystal didge produces, I’ve always been curious about it. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for that really thorough introduction, you’ve got a beautiful family.
That crystal didge is amazing!!!
Crazy, I’d be curious to play it!!!

3 Likes

@Elisabeth_Blanc and @Karl Thanks for your replies!

Here’s a recording attempt I’d made a bit over a year ago. I’d tried it by using the smallest reverb possible. The sound is pretty faithful to the original (plus the slight reverb) except the harmonics are crushed.

I’ll bring a few of them with me to the Rêve de l’Aborigène if you feel like trying them out. I’d had them custom-made back then, I’ve got a bit of that old stock left to sell (at the Rêve and cash I’ll offer them at €350 for the D# and €300 for the F, I’ll actually create a little ad for it.)

[Edit:] prices are slightly adjusted:

https://community.wakademy.online/t/vend-didgeridoos-en-cristal/4374

4 Likes

I replied to you in your other post @jerome.almasi. The sound is unique and interesting. Indeed, boosting the bass in my opinion wasn’t the best idea for hearing the harmonics, but sometimes, often, we struggle to convey through a recording the sound we hear when we play, and we’re forced to make compromises—bringing out one part of the sound spectrum to stay more faithful to the original sound always means losing something in another part.

I hope you’ll have some « tips » to find buyers for these atypical didgeridoos. For my part, my AlexDidge suits me so well that since I’ve had it for two years I’m not drawn to other didgeridoos, however good they may be. :wink:

:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply @Elisabeth_Blanc

Have you shown it anywhere?

2 Likes

I’d presented it before but I can’t remember which post it was in. I’m attaching an image of the description and one of the Didgeridoo.

It’s the one I play in my latest post « Musiques Elisabeth ».

I’m giving you the link where Greg (DidgeridooPassion) plays it, you’ll see more playing possibilities with this Didgeridoo than with my somewhat « grainy » or « organic » way of playing. :laughing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SI1Jeuf4mR_9aVAV0XXZmEkcNCvbKFiD/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Oh how beautiful it is.

Interesting sound, I hear it grainy and almost « heavy », almost like a finished one!

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Magnificent, I love the aesthetic it has!

1 Like

Hey, I’m gonna bump this thread because it’s pretty cool.

Small collection update.

As of now I have 6 didges.

The snail in C#, the AirDidge…

And my four main ones.

You already know the Eole Didgeridoo in eucalyptus (D), as well as the Ujazi in cherry (C).

Eole didgeridoo D:

The Ujazi C:

Last year I acquired a yidaki in F, made by Djalu about 25 years ago. It was part of Lily Roots’ collection:

I started tradish at Othello’s workshop at Nomadidge this year.

Actually, at Nomadidge, an Amplitude in A by Hexpira joined the collection:

That’s it for quick demos. Clearly lacking regular practice :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Nice collection Simon, different temperaments.

The last three have strong personalities that don’t leave anyone indifferent. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Simon for that comprehensive and up-to-date overview, you’ve got a nice varied collection.
Hats off for your intention to work on traditional playing, that’s something that appeals to me too—it’ll be my goal at the next workshop with Othello in Brittany at the end of November.
I’m also eyeing the La-amplitude, you did a great demo of it, I reckon that’ll be my next didgeridoo-making workshop… if I can find the time for it.

2 Likes

Hi Christophe!

Yeah I keep spreading myself thin. Originally, it was love at first sight with the yidaki, even though I hadn’t planned on buying another one right away. But at the same time, the tradish seems to me, personally, essential to really knowing the instrument. And it’s so demanding in terms of dynamism that it can only do me good :smiley:

The La Amplitude is really really cool. Super hungry for air, it requires a lot of finesse in your playing. And again, that can only do me good :slight_smile: That said, it’s super rewarding given how playful it is in the roundness of the sound… which also works really well for the punchy stuff :smiley:

3 Likes