Explanations (and a question for you) about forum moderation

Sometimes, I end up correcting a few typos or fixing the formatting of certain posts or replies. To clarify things, here’s a topic to explain how these edits work.

Also, it seems to me that once you reach a certain trust level (linked to forum settings), you gain the ability to moderately edit posts (like fixing typos for example). I’d be curious to hear your feedback on this. For instance, @Elisabeth_Blanc have you noticed this feature?

First Step

There’s a small pencil at the top right, and if it’s orange, that means I’ve already modified something (or someone else has).

Second Step

Once I click it, I see the edits that were made:

  • In the left window, the text highlighted in red is the original version.
  • In the right window and in green, that’s the corrected version (and currently displayed on the forum).

All that’s left is to click « edit the message » at the bottom to edit the message again.

1 Like

Yes, you need to be a « Leader » in the trust level to be able to edit and modify a post.

If you go to menu (three bars)->badges->trust level-> there are numbers in the top right of each level (tiles). By clicking on that number (2) or on the level, well I only see you and Jaime who have the ability to do it…After, if I click on the little orange pencil, well I see in red the modified elements on the left and in green the edits…and who, when did it…it’s crazy :woozy_face:

1 Like

Thanks Ivan, you’re helping me discover the forum’s features! :innocent:

True enough, you have all the info, I think it’s to be completely transparent. Seems pretty good to me, that way when there are multiple moderators, it’s easier to contact the person involved if needed.

That clarifies it for me! I didn’t know what you all had access to. So I relaxed the criteria for level 3 to make it more accessible.

At that level, it says:
You can now recategorize and rename topics, access the private section, report spam, and you get plenty of likes each day.

Level 4 being the « Leader » level and those are indeed the moderators. However, I’d like eventually for the community to manage itself as much as possible. I’m thinking about giving level 4 to members at level 3 (they’re trusted members and regulars so very very little risk of spam).

Do you like the idea?

1 Like

@Gauthier, I just noticed you edited one of my posts on « the unlikely feats of the didgeridoo » so the video displays directly. Thanks!

Yeah, it’s really helpful (and it shows how you’re supposed to do it properly ^^)

2 Likes

Yeah, awesome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Correcting French mistakes seems super extreme to me as an approach. We’re on a forum to exchange about a specific subject…Sure, there’s « Academy » in « Wakademy »…but it’s about didgeridoo…not French.
How do we handle posts in English or Franglish then?..yeah well! :cowboy_hat_face:

And frankly I don’t give a damn about these rules issued five hundred years ago by pseudo intellectuals wanting to assert their superiority over the « nasty » folks roasting in the fields to provide them with food.
They approached culture from a philosophical perspective rather than a sociological one.
People control being the main objective of this approach.

As long as culture is defined more narrowly as « what is common to a group of individuals » and as « what binds them together », that is, what is learned, transmitted, produced and created (Source: Wikipedia)…I will attach more importance to the content of a post than to its dogmatic formatting…

For the « likes » :grin:, I think it’s important to tell people that we love them or that we appreciate what they do…and I see it as an evolution in the way we electronically communicate our emotions…so please like this post to flatter my ego and make me feel better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: .

1 Like

Unless I’m mistaken, only you and the moderators can see if a mistake has been corrected.

Now that one, I think you actually can do it, no? The forum has a security level that doesn’t give all the rights when you’re just starting out. But once you get the hang of it you can do more things. Can you confirm that you can’t delete your posts or replies?
If that’s the case, I’ll look into the forum settings to see what’s possible.

Personally I quite like that, it avoids having to write an almost pointless reply, it keeps threads lighter and it still shows our thoughts for everyone.

Like I said earlier, I think only the moderators and you see it.

Personally, I still prefer when there are capital letters, full stops, a bit of formatting… And if a mistake slips through I take the chance to fix it (even though I’m not great at spelling myself).
@anon32342169 also comes back regularly to add a photo to the post to illustrate the topic.

I’m kind of with you on that one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really? And how can I be sure about that?
It’s like the online status? How can I be sure it actually disappears after x minutes of not being on the page but still logged into the forum through open pages in my browser?
Om

Once the post is deleted, you then need to delete the parts of the post that were quoted by other participants.
To do this, just click on the inverted acute accent and the quoted part will be automatically deleted…

Hey Yv,
I looked into it a bit more and here’s what I found:
• You’re right, you can’t delete a topic you created. If that ever happens (though experience shows it’s very rare) you’d need to ask a moderator.
• On the other hand, you can delete a reply by clicking the little trash icon at the bottom of the post, see screenshot (I just added it).

Yv:

Really? And how can I be sure?

You have my word on this, I’m on the forum very regularly and most of the time I don’t see you. Plus, it happens to me too when I leave a forum page open—when I come back I see that I’m not showing up, it takes a few seconds (maybe a second) for me to reappear.

Yv:

For that you just need to click on the back quote and the quoted part disappears automatically…

You’re teaching me something! Thanks!

Communicate our emotions electronically? You’re joking, right?
Love isn’t an emotion but a feeling!
A feeling can’t be communicated electronically, the only thing you’re communicating is a word, a drawing, a concept…
But anyway.
As Olivier says, a whole world to rebuild…

Thanks to you too.
Om
Yv

I didn’t say it was effective on a physical level (although!), just that that’s how our society perceives it, with a few exceptions!

Feeling is the component of emotion that involves the organism’s cognitive functions, the way of appreciating.

IF I WRITE THIS SENTENCE IN CAPITALS…HOW DO YOU APPRECIATE IT? WHAT FEELING DO YOU PERCEIVE?

Certainly, and I agree this society isn’t ideal.
We don’t agree on a detail about how the forum works, OK!

On the other hand, deleting your posts and writing « a whole world to remake » proves de facto that a feeling can indeed be transmitted through electronic means…because it’s obvious to me here that you’re upset, a feeling stemming from one of the four emotions namely anger. :wink:

Alright everyone, let’s dial it back? :relieved:
I know you both and I can see the screen is getting in the way of your communication. No doubt things would be easier face-to-face.
I’d like to close this topic (you can keep talking via PM if you want), because we’re getting off track from the original post. Thanks!

It’s more powerful…

Angry, no. Out of sync, disappointed, disillusioned…
What comes naturally to me…
Have a good day.
Om

Ah, I didn’t see your reply Gauthier.
All good…
Yes, for me we can close the post.
Om

Well, not really, since it was ALSO about Forum moderation…conclusion! it’s working well :speak_no_evil: