Original title: « It’s the beginning of the end »
Here we go, more good news… or not…
Original title: « It’s the beginning of the end »
Here we go, more good news… or not…
It’s catastrophic!
The « good news » is that these extreme climatic events are affecting a very large number of people who are becoming aware of the reality of climate change and who are putting pressure on their leaders.
In France, the question of ecology has been making its way into political debate for several years now and even if we can regret that things aren’t necessarily moving at the pace everyone would like, the issue is present in all programmes.
It seems that there’s still a long way to go in Australia but this year’s elections might perhaps move things forward?
And yeah Christophe, it’s Catastrophic.
Unfortunately, I’m not at all sure that climate events like the one described in the report are entirely due to the inaction of Australian leaders.
On a global scale yes maybe but not locally.
It’s not because Australia is dragging its feet on changing things on its soil that such an event befalls it, in my opinion it’s more that it finds itself in the right place at the wrong time.
This could very well have happened elsewhere.
The changes we’re going to have to undergo for lack of choosing change in our lives and practices are global and not local.
If you get the chance, there’s this report on Arte:
https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/098858-000-A/climat-mon-cerveau-fait-l-autruche/
I haven’t watched it yet but it could be interesting!
Thanks Gauthier ![]()
Thanks @Gauthier!
It’s good that this documentary exists. Now we just need to get it widely distributed to help spark a turnaround.
I’m dismayed by this inertia. And I’m feeling more and more helpless…
Excellent documentary. The human being is a truly very peculiar mammal…
I totally agree with that.
That said, it’s not inevitable. The thing is, we kind of forgot about it…
The book looks interesting it’s about ![]()
It would do some people good I reckon
.
I think more deeply that it’s just a matter of education and intellectual laziness plain and simple.
During the lockdowns the « media » kept looping on: the planet is doing better. Well yeah obviously fewer planes and fewer cars does the planet and our ears good. The lockdowns and more recently, the restrictions come to an end and boom, off we go, to the restaurant, the cinema, skiing or another country… (because we still shouldn’t overdo it, it’s the holidays after all…).
People are just too lazy to question their little lifestyle and their little « comfort ».
The presidential elections are coming up, you’d think people could send a strong message and vote for someone who takes this problem really seriously (who, from my point of view, would just be common sense actually…). But no some of our fellow idiots prefer to complain about those they judge as different (really they’re just people like everyone else. but anyway as Brassens said, when you’re… you’re…
Until the day coming soon enough, when a tornado comes to flatten their house and/or a storm comes to drown their seaside holiday home.
And that day, they’ll keep complaining and screaming about bad luck… Oh well damn it !!!
We’re gonna have a laugh for a while yet I’m telling you.
Anyway I’m heading back to my vegetable garden with my didgeridoo to send it some good energy and save the world, all alone in my head
![]()
I share a good part of your opinion. That said, I don’t think people are as lazy or stupid as all that. On the other hand, questioning a paradigm you’ve been happily swimming in since early childhood is complicated. It takes time and mental energy. Things that are also in short supply in a world where working and consuming are the norm. And it’s all the harder to break free when you realize it too late.
Not impossible, but complicated.
We’re not fighting on equal terms with those pushing competitive individualism from school onwards, the people who hold power over society, etc.
And we’re not helped by the accusations of naïveté hurled at us by the ayatollahs of « There is no alternative ».