AAVA's templates

Hey everyone,

I’m opening the post for my « creations » or rather my instrumental shenanigans ^^

And I’m starting this post with an impro at the Batterie des Roches, a fort on the heights of Pont-de-Roide (25), a small discovery on this sunny afternoon :slight_smile:
The view there is really beautiful over the whole valley and we were lucky enough to see the airshow too :stuck_out_tongue:

After this little appetizer, I get to the music — in these kinds of forts there are « powder magazines », which are large cavernous rooms with magnificent acoustics, it’s not super glamorous or bucolic as a place but I let myself go with the impro :smiley:

(I apologize in advance for the breaths you hear, I wasn’t aware of it while playing but that’s really something I need to work on ^^)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vb5VCPGlV8YEGhDzHRCbRlOa0SnmkZAp/view?usp=drivesdk

Feel free to point out any major mistakes, bad habits, etc… Your feedback and your experience are valuable and I really want to improve :slight_smile:

Enjoy listening and thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Hi AAVA,

When we click on your links, Google Drive says we don’t have the necessary permissions to access them.

Check the sharing settings on your files — they need to be set to « Visible: Anyone with the link ».

:slight_smile:

Indeed, impossible to access it. Frustrating :crazy_face:

Oops sorry it’s fixed :wink:

2 Likes

What a nice spot! I’d love to be there to jam with you :smiley:

Remember to film in landscape mode next time :roll_eyes:

Hey, I really like your creation, very nice and the resonance is cool!

That’s awesome! Such a beautiful resonance, wow…

I can hear your breaths but it doesn’t bother me at all, it’s part of the didgeridoo universe.

Your second video is my favorite, I think it’s really nice with all the sounds you add to the drone. :smiley:

That powder magazine was quite an experience, really « explosive ». :rofl:

Welcome to you @QuentinB, on the Wakademy forum :smile:.

1 Like

That’s a magnificent place.
It really makes you want to go check it out :sunglasses:.
Your didgeridoo is really lovely too :smiley: !!!
I really like the style :grinning:.

The place doesn’t look like much, as they say, but you could probably set up an underground didgeridoo bar there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
With a harp in the back, and some mead in horns @Calie :wink:.

On a more serious note, your venue has great sound and serious resonance.
You must have a blast playing there :star_struck:.

As far as your playing goes, you seem to have a good grasp of the basic techniques (circular breathing, animal calls, harmonics…).

The only small thing I could maybe say is: speed up your rhythm.
Give it some volume, sounds that bounce… Just send some energy, basically.

I’m writing this to you, but I’m sure you’ve got other, more rhythmic pieces :wink:.

It’s awesome anyway, thanks for sharing and the photos :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks @Alexandre :slight_smile: Are you from around there too?

Thanks @QuentinB :slight_smile: The resonance carries so much, you can barely hear anything in the video ^^

Thanks @Elisabeth_Blanc :stuck_out_tongue: When you’re in there you really feel the didgeridoo vibrating through you ^^ I tried to put what I can do pretty much into the 2 videos ^^
I think I’ll go back there a few times, it sounds really great played there :wink:

Thanks @Karl :wink: The place is really cool and unusual for that matter, a mix of nature and history :stuck_out_tongue:
As I said in the post about didgeridoos it’s a budget didgeridoo but I think it sounds good for the price ^^
Haha and yeah I’d love to play there with other musicians, the resonance really adds depth to the music it’s impressive, and everything’s so calm around there.
As for my playing I still struggle to go too fast, I lose the rhythm easily with circular breathing ^^ but I’m working on it, I like both the floating and meditative side and the very dynamic and engaging side of the didgeridoo :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks anyway to you all for your really encouraging feedback, it gives me a real boost to keep working :smiley:

3 Likes

Woaww !! that must have been incredible to play there! You must have been completely immersed in your sound..!

it creates such an « aquatic » vibe for you - pieces with that grotto and deep water feel..
a crocodile :crocodile: could emerge from there (to go grab a beer at the underground bar :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: !) and I wouldn’t even be surprised :upside_down_face: .

Thanks for sharing !

2 Likes

@aava, having family in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté I know Pont-de-Roide, it’s a beautiful region, but I didn’t know about Fort des Roches.
The site is stunning and the acoustics of those powder magazines are impressive.
It really makes you want to try it!

1 Like

Thanks @Calie :stuck_out_tongue: Yeah, with a bit of bluish lighting it would definitely give off that deep-sea concert hall vibe :smiley:

@Christophe_E Ha nice that’s cool :stuck_out_tongue: If you’re back in the area sometime we should go blow some tunes together :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@AAVA Mmmmh no, I’m in the 13th, near Aix-en-Provence

Excellent!!! Makes you want to try it!
Here (Basque Country), we also have some cool caves. As soon as I have some free time, I’ll give it a go.
:sunglasses:

R E S O N A N C E !!!

I reckon you must’ve made a few happy campers :grin::joy::grin::smiling_face_with_sunglasses::smiling_face_with_sunglasses::smiling_face_with_sunglasses::smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

1 Like

@Franck I looked for caves when I was in Ardèche this summer ^^ don’t hesitate to share when you find one :stuck_out_tongue:

@anon32342169 I’m not sure if anyone was listening but I had a good time :smiley:

2 Likes

It works!
:wink:
I know a few of them, but I’m seriously lacking free time.

Hey everyone,

I’m sharing a little piece with you, or rather a diptych because I had the pleasure of spending a brief but really warm moment with @Christophe_E :smiley:

I really want to thank @Christophe_E for his good vibes, I really enjoyed this first exchange with another player and this little moment really reinforced my desire to meet other players :slight_smile:

Here without further ado is an excerpt from our little jam sessions this afternoon :stuck_out_tongue:

On top of being really solid technically, he took the time to show me some little tips to improve on that’ll keep me busy for a while :stuck_out_tongue:

So there we go, hoping to get the chance again to share moments like this in the year ahead :slight_smile:

P.S.: @Christophe_E You’ll always be welcome and I hope I’ll have more time available next time so we can really make the most of it :wink:

3 Likes

Your video is awesome guys!!
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Where were you guys? Would be great to see you at one of our next didgeridoophonic meetups @AAVA?
The MOV format is a bit heavy. That’s what comes out of my camera. A quick run through VLC and boom you’ve got mp4 :wink:
Big hugs

1 Like