Hey everyone!
Phônodidg is finally live!
Feel free to leave your feedback here on the tuning and configuration tool available on the site. I’ll try to integrate any possible improvements (if we can squeeze it into our free time
).
Don’t hesitate to ask any questions—I’ll do my best to guide you through using the program.
Hoping it helps you explore your Phônodidg! Have fun, and thanks to Gauthier for this discussion space and Franck for his didgeridoos!
3 Likes
With pleasure, welcome to the forum @jeromedeboeck
First mini update, the « choice of harmonics » has been changed to « playing style », dry or round, which fits better. Thanks @anon32342169 and @Gauthier for the feedback!
2 Likes
I spent 1 hour searching for them on the net last week and here they are on the forum. It was listening to Colas that made me wonder if he’d done it. I think the concept is really excellent!
1 Like
Thank you Jérôme,
This is just extraordinary!
I finally took the time to look at it in detail and became aware of the power of this tool.
Didgmo was already pretty handy for finding the key you’re looking for, but it requires a lot of blind trial and error when you don’t have very advanced experience in design. It’s impossible to use if you want to fix the overtones and I broke my teeth trying to understand the logic that the guides provided (certainly not enough background in acoustic physics).
So there, starting from what you want and getting the air column characteristics, that’s fantastic. I also finally understood what the impedance curve meant.
On the other hand, what links it to the harmonic curve isn’t clear to me.
I do have one minor comment though, the tool gives the characteristics of the configurations, I found the diameter of the different tubes, but I don’t see the length of the tubes (I assume they all have the same length). It’s necessary if you want to find the air column configuration again.
I can barely measure the effort behind defining the models and developing the calculation codes, and it’s an incredible chance for us that you put the fruit of this work in open access.
Thank you again
2 Likes
Thanks for your comment, it’s nice after all those hours of work 
Acoustic physics is horrible… I’m a mathematician by training and I struggle to find my way through the formulas… so I’ll cowardly pass the buck and say I trusted the formulas I found in the literature! They work for impedance (which is the most important), I hope they’re also ok for those who want to exploit the harmonics curve.
For pipe lengths, the maximum lengths are available on the page with the models. So the first tube always has its maximum length. The inner lengths of the other tubes are the lengths you manually encode on the configure page or that we provide you on the tune page. If the lengths are all 0, then no tube is deployed and you only have the length of the first one, then each time you extend a pipe, you increase its length inside the air column.
Look at the diagram on the page with the models where you have the same model with two different configurations in cross-section side by side, it might help you visualize.
Thanks again, yes it’s a lot of work, I wanted to apply my maths to something concrete, and meeting Franck was very pleasant, that’s what made it all possible (with an autistic tendency to program behind a screen until 2am for 3 months to fix and fix and fix the operation again!).
1 Like