I’m lucky enough to get to visit the birthplace of the didgeridoo in Arnhem Land in just over a month!
I’m trying to prepare for this experience as best I can, and I’m hoping to learn from our spiritual master Djalu and his family — the excitement is really building!
I’ve also planned to do some volunteering at the art center.
I’ll definitely share this experience when I get back, but in the meantime, I wanted to know if any of you had advice, ideas, or things I might be missing out on there, or people I should meet.
It’s the trip of a lifetime — I don’t think I’ll be able to do it again later, so any information is worth having.
In Gauthier’s podcast about the Nomadidge festival, the guest Greg from Didgeridoo Passion talks about his time in Australia. Maybe that will give you some clues.
In any case, I wish you a wonderful stay that, from your description, seems to be both a human, cultural, musical experience and one that will undoubtedly offer you plenty of pleasant surprises.
A real stroke of luck, christophe, that you get to make this beautiful trip.
I don’t know so I can’t give you any advice, but I wish you that it brings you the wonderful experience you’re hoping for.
That’s going to be a really amazing life experience!!
How long are you going for?
I can’t give you any advice, never having lived through what you’re about to experience, but I imagine that if I were in your shoes, I’d be full of humility and respect facing this experience.
As @Patrick_GARBOUS writes, Gauthier’s podcast should give you some useful pointers .
You could also try contacting Greg from Didgeridoo Passion directly.
I think he’d be thrilled to give you some advice and help you prepare .
I’m adding to my answer:
on YouTube, there are quite a few documentaries about Aboriginal people and in particular a « Rendez-vous en terre inconnue » episode with Aboriginal people.
A real stroke of luck you have there, Christophe.
I can confirm that visiting Australia is an extraordinary experience, I had that opportunity last year too and since then… I’ve been playing didgeridoo practically every evening
I didn’t visit the Darwin region and I didn’t have the chance like you to meet Aboriginal people up close, but I can confirm what Karl says: you should contact Gregory from @Greg, he’s on the forum.
I talked with Greg at Rêve de l’Aboriègene, he’s a really interesting person, very open-minded and… passionate of course.
I also had the chance to meet Larry Gurruwiwi, Djalu’s son, at Rêve this year for a workshop, he’s also someone very open-minded who’s eager to share his culture.
Aaaaah! so glad to see you again on the forum
and even more thrilled for you about your upcoming trip!
Come back to us with stories to tell and plenty of rhythmic patterns to explore
Wow yeah, traveling to Arnhem Land really changes a person… We’re going to call with Christophe to talk about it.
However he’s leaving with Loic from Termitadidg so he’ll be well guided and isn’t going alone. He’s going with someone initiated who will show him the customs…
In any case it’s something you have to do in a lifetime, it puts us back in our place!!
Have a good day everyone
Wow ! Amazing experience ahead Christophe !!! How long are you going for ? I’m also hoping to see and read your impressions, you’re going to have your eyes wide open, experience a culture, vibes, new sensations and probably meet interesting people…!
Cool! Even though I live in New Caledonia, I went to Australia for the first time exactly a year ago! That’s where I discovered the didgeridoo and brought one back with me, bought from an art gallery.
And ever since I’ve got the bug
Have a great trip.
Hi Christophe, get yourself a mosquito spray and you’ll actually get to enjoy your nights : )
Greetings to the team Loic, Philippe and Mika. It’s going to be awesome!
And there we go, the big moment is coming up soon…
I’m stuck in Malaysia a bit longer than expected (Thanks Jetstar) and hoping the issues sort themselves out quickly, I’ll be joining the three rascals who are already there!